Court Services

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I cannot appear on my court date?
Call the clerk of court at (770) 879-4981 and request the date be reset.  This must be done no later than 2 days prior to your court date.

Can I get a jury trial?
Yes.  Certain offenses are eligible for a jury trial.  The judge will reset your case to be heard in the State Court of DeKalb County upon request prior to hearing your case.

Can I appeal the judge’s decision?
Yes.  You may appeal the judge’s ruling to the Superior Court of DeKalb County within 30 days of the hearing.

How can I complain on the officer who issued my citation?
Complaints must be submitted in writing to the Assistant Chief of Police within 10 days of the alleged incident.  Forms are available in the Police Department lobby.  The judge does not hear such complaints and will not affect your court hearing.

What if I need special assistance?
If you have a disability, speak another language, or require special accommodations in the court, call the Clerk of Court at (770) 879-4981 at least two days prior to your court date.  All reasonable concerns will be addressed.

What if I forgot my court date and did not appear?
Contact the Clerk of Court immediately at (770) 879-4981. Do not ignore your citation.  It will not go away.  In fact, it only gets worse.  If you have not paid your fine or appeared in court, the judge may issue a bench warrant for your arrest.  In addition, the Clerk of Court may suspend your driver license through the Georgia Department of Driver Services.